What are you trying to find???

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ain't easy being green.


Poor Kermie. What a rough plight.
Fortunately... you don't have to suffer the same. With that upcoming green holiday and the interwebs at your disposal, you've got about every idea imaginable at at your fingertips making it (wait for it...) easy for you to be green.
Okay. Done being corny.
We don't get crazy into every little holiday, but with St. Patrick's day coming up I thought it was a great time to share one of our favorite breakfast treats around here.
Green Smoothies!
What's that? You don't struggle to get enough healthy, leafy greens in yourself and your family? Well then, I guess you can stop reading. This post is not for you. (And I am rolling my eyes in your general direction-- healthy over achiever. No one likes people like that, you know?)
I do struggle... also it's hard to convince my toddler to chow down on some spinach, no matter how I try to convince him of it's health and Pop-eye benefits. But he enjoys sluuuuurrrping down a smoothie in the morning.
I know the green smoothie thing is not a new craze by any means, and I probably don't make mine healthy-to-the-max like some people do... but I feel like even a little green is a big win where it would otherwise not be consumed. So here are my fav recipes.
Pineapple Mango Greenie
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup cucumber pieces
1/2 cup pineapple pieces (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup mango pieces (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 cup orange (or mango, or pineapple if you have it!) juice
Stick it all in your blender and blend. Make sure you have enough liquid to cover all your fruit/veggies... you can add water if you need to.

Yummy and adding green to our diets. Win win. Sam took a sip and said "Mmmmmmm!" which is his new trick-- he also said that about a cheerio he found in the couch cushion-- but don't let that taint your opinion. It really was delicious.

I also use THIS GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE I got from my friend Danielle, over a year ago. It's very similar... just with berries. Plus she adds flax seed because she is so smart and always thinking a step ahead to fill her family with healthy stuff. Over achiever.
And I'm like a half achiever.
But I consumed a cup of leafy greens for breakfast today... sooo... beat that, toaster waffles!

And... one other little green thing we did to 'celebrate' St.P's day.
I am assuming you have gathered from these posts that I am a little into nail art these days. So when I saw this on pinterest, I knew I needed to put together a cute little gift for my Mani-Buddy, Amy Lee! (Ooh! Shameless plug: Amy started a nail blog. You should check it out. fancyside.blogspot.com)
I definitely had to get myself some of this awesome sparkly green-ness. I was wearing it earlier this week and I love the deep emerald shimmer.
...but we also went to go see the new OZ movie this weekend (it was cute, but probably a little intense for kiddos...?) and this polish made me feel very 'wicked witch'. Which I kind of loved. Dark and green and magical. (The color is Revlon:Rain Forest)

So there you have it. Not much of a celebration for St.P's around here, but enjoying the day's favored color. What kind of green things have you been doing? Been eating (drinking?) your veggies? Painting your nails? Indulging in fantasies of witches and wonder and the emerald city?

2 comments:

  1. Awwww...thanks for the shameless plug. You're sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops, I have been a little behind on my blog-reading. But thanks for the shameless plug here too. :) You are great!

    ReplyDelete