What are you trying to find???

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sponge Bombs

Back when I was in high school and college I spent my summers nannying for a couple little girls. A couple 'little' girls who are now in high school-- yikes! One summer, we did the following project and it was loads of fun. But I had all but forgotten about it until just the other day a friend had pinned the same thing on pinterest (by the way--I was a pretty awesome nanny... we did all kinds of creative fun stuff. But nannies these days have resources. I would have kicked SERIOUS nannying bootie if I had pinterest at my disposal. Just sayin'.) and I got really excited! They would be perfect pool toys for the little man.
 So here we go... sponge bombs. Good clean fun.
 You need a package of sponges, a pair of scissors, and some string. (I bought my package of sponges for about $2)
 Cut your sponge into strips. (mine were thicker than I wanted, so I halved them again.) don't they look like carrot sticks? cute!
 make a little pile of 8 sponge sticks, then tie your string tightly around the middle.
 VIOLA! Sponge bombs.
Get them wet and have a good time. When I was a nanny we would dunk them in water and use them instead of water baloons for water fights in the back yard.
Which reminds me of when I was a kid. My sister and I had summer birthdays and always wanted to have water parties. we'd have water gun and water balloon fights in the backyard, and it would kinda be a mess. But think of how much fun it would be to give each kid a package of sponges and tell them to make their own ammunition. And then send them home with all the little party kiddos as favors too. Craft project, game, cleanup, and favor all in one. How sweet would that be?
Anyway, we didn't use these for a water fight...
 But they made awesome pool toys for the little man.
He played and played. Great fun for only a 2 dollar investment. Sounds good to me.

So what are you up to this summer? Playing any water games? Making any fun toys for/with your kiddos? Swimming and trying to stay cool? Whatever it is I hope you are having a good time!

1 comment: