What are you trying to find???

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

FELT FOOD

I shared in THIS POST that I was trying my hand at some felt food creations. My friend's son received a play kitchen for Christmas, and I just had to be a part of the fun. I actually should have taken a picture of all the food iI gave him... don't know why that didn't occur to me before I did, but whatever. It was a cute, fun gift, and I used mostly scraps to create it, so it was cheap and stash-busting as well. Yay.
I made for him two cookies, an egg, a stack of pancakes, two strips of bacon, a carrot, broccoli, an orange two strawberries, and... an apple.
I'll show you how i did it-- but I must admit my first attempt or two turned out rather lumpy fruit. They got prettier, though.

To make round fruit you start with 5 football shaped sections. my sections were about 6 inches long and 2.5 inches across at the widest point.
Start by pinning edges together (right sides together) and sew along one side.
with wrong sides still together pin another football to the un-sewn side of the first pieces you sewed together. (make sense?) Continue adding sections untill you have attached all five pieces, you will want to leave the the last section open about half way
because now you are going to turn it right side out. And stuff it.
And sew that thing up!
When you get to the end, insert your needle straight into the end and pull it all the way through and out the opposite end. I pulled it a little extra tight so the ends pucker in a little. The fold th leaf piece in half and attach it along with a scrap of brown to create a stem... and...
There you have it! Not real hard, but super cute.
Shoot. Now I want to make more. :)
Let me know if you try it... or if you have made any felt food? I just love the stuff... too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment