What are you trying to find???

Sunday, November 28, 2010

MAKE THIS: New Old Door Shelf

Many many months ago I saw THIS picture on Little Birdie Secrets Blog and knew I must have a corner shelving unit made from an old door. So I searched Craigslist and found someone gettin rid of some old doors. He even delivered then to me. Awesome.
My project was well on it's way, however I needed some help becuase I am not wood-working and nail-gun kind of crafty, BUT my Dad is. He said he would be delighted to help me. He didn't have time that very day... so the door landed in our basement where it has been sitting for anout 7 months now.
Until this weekend when my dad appeared on our doorstep telling me that this door project was on his "Before Christmas Bucket List" (my dad actually said that, He is pretty much adorable) and he and Z ran to his shop for the afternoon with my old door and a picture.
They came back wiht a shelving unit that just neeed a new coat of paint. (Actually some sanding during their project exposed several shades of beige, yellow, and a color somewhere between mint and gangreen. ew.) So we put a couple coats on in the backyard. Just flat black, to match my red/black/white kitchen.
I am really into antique keys and doorknobs right now too, so imagine my delight to find a door with a pretty antique glass handle, an old-school key hole, and a dad who understands my obsessions and does his best to work around my desires even as he is shaking his head thinking it's silly.

Once it made it to it's final resting place in the kitchen we did a little bit of touch up painting... then moved it to the corner.

The plan for this puppy all along has been COFFEE BAR. Okay maybe not a complete bar... but my husband has this $200 coffee machine that we just don't have the counter space for (remember how my kitchen is teeeeeeny?) So I made sure the shelves could hold that coffee maker... along with our pretty red and black mugs, french press and other coffee accoutrements. Well, eventually it will be a tad more decoratively (is that a word?) appealing than this (and, you know, without the dog's water dish in the middle of the floor right in front of it... ) but we just started throwing stuff, ugly packaging and all ont he shelves. I really really like the way it turned out. It looks OH SO cute in my little kitchen.

Thank you Daddy and Z-- the handy men in my life-- for making my cute little idea a reality in my kitchen! :)

I linked to...

http://www.pollywantacrafter.com/2010/11/craft-link-party-9.html


3 comments:

  1. Sooo cute and will be making this soon. I have been searching for ages for a corner unit and this is perfect. Thanks Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Who would of ever thought, your amazing. Oh my word I love your Dad!!! Seriously has to be one of the greatest men alive. : ) He is beyond creative & then the two of you together...I'm going to become a Sass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this. I hope to have one someday!

    ReplyDelete