What are you trying to find???

Friday, October 22, 2010

EAT THIS: Sausage, potato, and cheddar waffles

Okay, I know I have been posting a lot more recipes than other creations recently. I'm sorry. Sometimes life just works out that way... some weeks I'm in the kitchen more than the sewing nook. Some weeks I'm planning parties, and hosting gatherings (October/November) and some months I am costuming a play and making Christmas presents (November/December). So I promise there is more sewing and craftiness to come... and soon enough Halloween costumes that I keep promising... But for now, you must be content to stew over a few recipes and let these change your life... because then can, my friend. They can.
Anywho...
I can take no credit for this recipe. I didn't even change it like I usually do. This came straight from a Rachel Ray magazine, and I read it and said to myself, Brilliant! I must have it! And so I cam home and did it. And it was good. It was very good. Yes, RR is a little kooky and her voice and little names for everything get really obnoxious and she gesticulates unnecessarily... but sometimes, she gets it right (or her editors do, or something) and this is one of those times.

Sausage, Potato, and Cheddar Waffles

3 oz sweet italian sausage (casings removed)
1 med baking potato, grated and excess water squeezed out
4 tblsp butter
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tblsp baking powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tblsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

In med skillet cook the sausage over med heat, breaking it up with a fork, about 5 mins. Add the potato and butter, lower heat and let simmer until butter is melted, about 2 mins. Remove from heat and let cool while you...
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in milk and eggs until smooth, stir in sausage and egg mixture.
Then use a waffle maker, cook waffles according to maker directions. (For us, this made about a dozen square waffles... may vary based on size of waffle maker)

I love a good savory/sweet combo... so I immediately put a good serving of butter and syrup on top and went to town.

Z can't get into savory/sweet combos... but surprisingly enough was not wigged out by a savory waffle... he topped his with taco sauce. (I kinda cringed/shrugged because what are you going to do... he was eating food i made! Celebration! Even if it was smothered in icky taco sauce.)
Just in case you didn't get that... here's a close up of icky jarred taco sauce on glorious waffles. (but apparently he was excited enough to eat them that he decided not to wait for me to clear or set the table, or even get him a glass for his soda. sigh.
Whatever your method, be it maple syrup or taco sauce, or nothing, or something completely different (and please share what you topped your with!) you gotta try these waffles. Oh, and the recipe suggested whipping up a double batch and freezing the rest. Pop those freezer waffles in the toaster for a quick dinner or snack? Yes, please! :)


2 comments:

  1. Could this be used as pancake batter as well? No waffle iron in the Miller house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably do it... the batter didn't scream 'waffle batter' to me (I usually beat my eggs whites into soft peaks seperately for waffles... makes them lighter and crispier!) I like waffles becuase they get a little crunchy, but try them as pancakes, and let me know what happens! :)
    (Or you can borrow my waffle iron if you are desperate... or... I am pretty sure mine came from a black-friday sale for about $8. It's almost that time of year again... ;)

    ReplyDelete