What are you trying to find???

Thursday, October 7, 2010

EAT THIS: Boyfriend Soup

Last night for dinner I made Boyfriend Soup. Boyfriend soup is actually just a Broccoli Cheese soup (but an absolutely delish one!), but The first time I made it, my roommate's boyfriend loved it so much he ate the entire pot that I made. I was bummed because I was looking forward to leftovers for my lunch the next day. So I made another pot the next day, and her boyfriend showed up again and cleaned out the bowl. Soooo... it has since been called Boyfriend Soup, but I have never made it around him since, because I like it too much. :) It really is a yummy, yummy creamy, cheesy, rich delicious soup, that even non-broccoli eaters would love (if the are not so stubborn as my husband, which brings me to:)
I also call it boyfriend soup because my picky husband would probably cry if he thought there was anything vegetable or vegetable related in his house. Broccoli is the worst offender in his book, though it's one of my favorites! So I make Boyfriend Soup. And my husband comes home and says:
"Whats for dinner?"
And I say: "Boyfriend soup!"
"What's in it?"
"Um... boyfriends?" But by this time he is already at the stove stirring a pot of incredible smelling soup with suspicious looking green florets in it, and he's on to me! That's not Boyfriends! That's BROCCOLI! And I am ALMOST sad that he won't even try any... ALMOST, because if he's not eating, I know that I will get two heaping servings for dinner tonight and have a nice bowl leftover for lunch tomorrow.There are some advantages to living with a picky eater: More for me. And I smile, just a little, as my husband grabs stuff to make himself a grilled cheese sandwich.

Valerie's Creamy, Cheesy, Broccoli Soup
OR
Boyfriend Soup

.25 cup chopped yellow onion
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
1 tblsp butter
spoonful of flour
1 cup milk
1.5 cups chicken stock
6 oz cream cheese (cubed)
2 oz shredded swiss cheese
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 oz chopped frozen broccoli
.25 tsp. Nutmeg (secret ingredient that makes it SO VERY yummy-- don't skip it because it seems weird.)
Salt and pepper

Saute onions and garlic in butter until onion is translucent-ish. Blend in flour reduce to med heat and add cream cheese and milk. Stir until cream cheese is melted smooth. Stir in chicken stock and cheese, then broccoli, nutmeg and salt/pepper to taste. Heat over medium 'til it bubbles a bit. You can put it through the blender if you desire a nice smooth consistency, I kinda like it chunky. Serve with a little shredded cheddar on top to make it pretty and some crusty bread. Yummy. (Serves 3-4, depending on how big of eaters you are! ha!)
Side note, before you start feeling toooooooo bad for my poor husband and his grilled cheese... he got to make his grilled cheese with this stuff...
Which was made from scratch and warm from the oven when he got home. He opened the door and took a deep breath and said... this house smells incredible! (it did.)



3 comments:

  1. Sounds divine! Think I'll add a few things to my grocery list to makeit during the next cold snap. Probably not this weekend as we are looking at summer weather again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm! Love the name, love the story behind it.

    BTW I am your newest follower because I love that you're sassy and I am a mom to a westie, too! Love the blog--keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed something to make for dinner and realized that I had everything for this soup!! So, lo and behold, I had just seen your recipe and decided to try it out.

    YUM. My tummy thanks you.

    ReplyDelete